- This event has passed.
“Rare Diseases, Leaving no one Behind” – a rare photo expo honouring life with a rare disease
February 25 @ 12:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Hosted at the United Nations on the margins of the 43rd Session of the Human Rights Council, the exhibit is made possible thanks to the invaluable support of the Permanent Mission of Cyprus and the Permanent Mission of the Federative Republic of Brazil.
Exposition opens 25 February 2020 at 12.30
United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG)
Palais des Nations, Building E, Main Entrance
Opening Ceremony – Speakers
- H.E. Mr. Nikos Christodoulides, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Cyprus
- H.E Mrs. Damares Alves, Minister of Women, Family and Human Rights of Brazil .
- Mrs. Katia Kyriacou, President, Pancyprian Association of Rare Genetic Diseases “Unique Smiles”
- Mrs. Rachel Yang, Member of the Council of Rare Diseases International
- Mr. Aldo Soligno, photographer of the Rare Lives Photo Project
- Ms. Anastasia Semaan, Youth Ambassador of “Unique Smiles” and Member of European Patient Forum Youth Group
After the opening ceremony, Brazilian finger food and Cypriot wine will be served
The expo is open to the public on 25 February until 6 March 2020. It showcases two photographic projects, supported by two patient associations in Italy and Cyprus.
UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES is a photographic project that portrays the resilience, dreams and aspirations of people living with a rare disease.
The project is a collaboration between world-class photojournalist Petros Petrides and Unique Smiles a Cyprian civil society organisation that represents patients and families affected by 167 rare genetic disorders.
RARE LIVES is a 5-year photographic journey into the world of rare diseases involving 70 families and crossing 7 European countries. The collection goes beyond the data and socio-health services to shed light on the bravery, strength and adaptability of those living with a rare pathology, whatever their context.
The initiative is the outcome of a collaboration with award-winning photographer Aldo Soligno; his agency, ECHO Photojournalism; and UNIAMO-Rare Diseases Italy, the Italian Federation of Rare Disease patient associations.
As part of Rare Disease Day 2020, we welcome the rare disease community to an event celebrating the human face of rare diseases and portraying the common experience of patients and families living with a disease.